Year Built: 1929
Building Area: 40,793 SF
Classroom Capacity: 324
Number of Students: 276
Current Capacity: 85.19%
Project Start Date: October 2019
Bond Issuance Date: March 2021
Completion Date: March 2023
Proposed Bond Project Information
Cost Estimate: $6,474,192
Renovate/Upgrade Existing Buildings to
• School safety improvements (cameras, blinds, carded entry locks)
• Flooring replacement to include removal/abatement of remaining asbestos tile
• Renovate multi-restroom facilities with new plumbing fixtures, tile, partitions and paint
• Exterior window replacement where needed
• Repair entrance canopy
• Add humidity controls to HVAC upgrades or installations
• Replace non-ADA compliant cabinetry, sinks, door hardware
• Fix erosion issues on site
• Repair damaged/cracked sidewalks
• Roof replacement/repair where needed
• Replace aging electrical panels
• Replace aging mechanical equipment
Pleasant Grove Elementary School
Bond Project Updates
Click on the description to see information regarding bond project progress.
The ABSS architect/designer selection process began last November when ABSS posted the RFQ (Request for Quotes) and scheduled school visits for early December. By the January 7, 2019 deadline, ABSS received 24 architect/designers submissions for renovation projects and 13 submissions for the new high school. The selection process also included two rounds of interviews with an internal committee and a stakeholder committee.
At the June 18, 2019 ABSS Board of Education Meeting, staff recommended Sud Associates P.A., an engineering firm from Durham do the renovations and additions for Pleasant Grove Elementary School and Walter Williams High School.
Sud Associates, P.A., will provide the following services: sealed architectural, structural, M.E.P. and FP plans, sealed civil and landscape design, owner assistance with bidding, owner/contractor assistance with permits, and project observation during construction. The estimated design costs are Pleasant Grove Elementary School for $480,700 and Walter Williams High School for $365,900.
The ABSS Board of Education approved all staff recommendations for architect/designers for school bond projects.
Pleasant Grove Elementary
School Capital Projects
Capital Projects in Progress
- Summer 2019 - Divide Classroom $10,000
Capital Projects Completed
No projects identified at this time